[vlc] Trying to receive RTP/H263 or RTP/MJpeg stream

Marco Kunze makunze at gmx.de
Tue Jan 3 19:51:22 CET 2006

Hi all,

I'm having a hard time trying to receive a h263 or motion jpeg stream
using vlc 0.8.4 on debian sid.

The streams are created using JMF (Java Media Framework), but
unfortunately I cannot change to other streaming formats there.

So when I start vlc, this happens:

mk at goliath:~$ vlc -vvv rtp:@10.0.8.255:6666
VLC media player 0.8.4 Janus
[..]
[00000272] main private debug: pre buffering
[00000268] access_udp access debug: no RTP header detected
[..]
[00000273] ts demuxer warning: TS module discarded (lost sync)
[00000273] ps demuxer warning: this does not look like an MPEG PS
stream, continuing anyway
[00000149] main module debug: using demux2 module "ps"
[00000268] access_udp access warning: unimplemented query in control
[00000266] main input debug: `rtp:@10.0.8.255:6666' successfully opened
[00000273] ps demuxer warning: garbage at input, trying to resync...

After that, vlc is resynchronizing from time to time, but of course not
successful.

Any ideas how I could get vlc to play the stream? I tried to use the
mjpeg demuxer module to open the motion jpeg stream, but vlc says it
cannot find it. How can I get a list of the available demuxers?

I'm quite lost with this problem since some time, I hope somebody can
give me some ideas how I could possibly overcome these problems.

Thank you,

Marco

PS: vlc is really cool :-)