[vlc] Re: vlc and matroska container

Måns Rullgård mru at inprovide.com
Tue Jan 10 04:26:19 CET 2006

timecop <timecop at gmail.com> writes:

>> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006, gwondaleya at free.fr wrote :
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I am wondering if the last release of VLC (0.8.4) is supporting the Menu
>> > features of  the matroska container  (for example menus extracted with
>> > Dvdmenuextractor) ?
> please avoid pirating dvds.

It is legal to make copies for private use in many places.  There are
also DVDs that are perfectly legal to copy everywhere, simply because
the authors have given permission.

We shouldn't encourage pirating, but we shouldn't help the media
industry in their quest for full control by making the same false
assumptions they do, i.e. that all copying of music or movies is with
malicious intentions.  Whether technically legal or not, I can't see
anything morally wrong with making private copies of a legally
purchased DVD or CD.  If the law forbids this, the law needs to be
changed, not our moral standards.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at inprovide.com