[vlc] Re: vlc application performance

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Wed Jan 11 15:16:13 CET 2006

Le mercredi 04 janvier 2006 à 17:31 -0500, David A. Kassay a écrit :
> Does vlc record anything that can be used to measure its
> performance from a viewer's perspective? I am interested in
> the following statistics described in Wang, Banerjee and
> Jamin (Studying Streaming Video Quality: From an Application
> Point of View):
>
> average service rate
> number of rebuffering events
> average rebuffering time
> number of missed packets (missed by playback time)
> frame rate

No such statistic is kept at the moment, although some work is being
done to collect data on at least some of these points.

> Also, does VLC have information on the data rate at which the
> video file was encoded? What is the size of the VLC buffer
> and is it adjustable without going into the source?

VLC doesn't collect infomation on the encoding rate, unless given
explicitely on the demux or codec layer (mp3 cbr are an example). VLC
buffer size is measured in milliseconds of stream playback. Its real
size depends on the actual stream. You can adjust it with the various
--*-caching options, or directly using the gui.

> Have any studies been done on VLC performance with streaming
> video over variable links (the internet or wireless links)?

Not that I am aware of. Keep in mind that because of it's design,
particularly its clock mecanism, VLC isn't that fit for streaming a file
over a TCP channel. It is much more fit to stream a live stream over
UDP.

--
BigBen