[vlc] Re: Making VLC more accessible to the blind

petrakigianos-giasou at yahoo.com petrakigianos-giasou at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 00:59:38 CET 2006

Hi Thanks for sending the ticket out.

You asked so here it is:

I play DVDs because I want to hear the movie. The audio is fine
with me. You know some videos and DVDs come with descriptive
narration on them describing the silent scenes and so on.

It's like saying why do you need those subtites or close
captioning features if you are hearing impaired or don't
understand the movies language.

BTW, my screen reader costs me $900 and every year I pay another
$180 to keep it up to date. I use a regular PC like everyone
else. The only thing different is the software called JAWS.

I use Skype to call friends overseas.

I can send email as you already can tell. I can also use:

Winamp 5.12, Windows Media Player 10, Juice podcatcher to
download podcasts, Replay Radio, Norton Anti-Virus, Panda's
TruPrevent, uses 2 mp3 players, connects devices to his USB
ports, download software, cut, copy, move folders and files,
rename files, send files to external hard drive, play poker at
www.allinplay.com, manipulate settings via control panel, make
changes to my router, record radio shows using Replay Radio
software, and much more. The only thing I can not do is view
pictures. No big deal for me.

I use a universal vcr that records in ntsc, pal, secam. I use a
phillips TiVo and can manually set it to record shows for me
with no speech output. I use a stand alone DVD player. I use 5
different remote controls.

I use Notepad to take notes for all my devices I use. I backup
everything to a CD-R disc. I use Nero 6.+ to burn files to a
CD-R. Nero is very accessible.

I use a U3 thumb drive. These are going to be very popular very
soon.

Now I am trying to figure out this DVD recorder I have to be
hooked up to my analog TV set.

What is VLC doing about this new Blue Ray and HD DVD standards
that are out in Japan?

As you can see I am slightly ahead of your time or perception. I
hope you all understand me.

Thanks for listening. Hopefully VLC will listen to me to make
the graphics/buttons with alternate text. This is simple to do
if they want to do it.

Petro