[vlc] Re: [OT?] Encrypted Video

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Jan 12 17:12:14 CET 2006

Le Mercredi 11 Janvier 2006 11:01, Ow Mun Heng a écrit :
> > That is to say, settings up HTTP/SSL is very complicated. Also, one
> > has to keep in mind that TCP is usually very poor for streaming
> > purposes.
>
> Yep..Yep.. however, the idea I'm having right now   is leaning more
> towards making sure the video can only be viewed by select
> individuals etc. Just like GPG etc.

We could add GPG keyrings support for SSL authentication as well, but
that is a “proprietary” or at least non-standard (though LGPL'd)
extension of SSL/TLS that only GnuTLS implements.

For now, you should be able to use a CA and give certificate/private key
pairs to any of the client you want to grant access to said video.
However, I've never tested that succesfully, and in any case, the
access control will be limited to granting access to all videos or no
videos at all, to any given client.

There could be better alternative, but I don't know any standard, nor
anyone willing to dedicate time into that.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.simphalempin.com/home/