[vlc] Re: [OT?] Encrypted Video

JB mail at bettigole.us
Thu Jan 12 20:37:06 CET 2006

Here's some thoughts on encryption:

 From what I've learned about DishNetwork, their "streams" are encrypted
with their own Nagravision2 and the receiver/smartcard pair contain the
keys to decrypt the signal.  A similar system could be possible with VLC
either built-in or using a separate proxy-type program.  I'll outline
the proxy program because to me, it would seem more versatile.

A server program, preferably commandline, would take the video stream
and a user provided key (either, on the commandline or from a file) and
output an encrypted stream.  This program could be run on the same
system or a separate system as a proxy to the stream.  On the user end
the same program would act as a second proxy and retrieve that encrypted
stream and use the provided key to decrypt the signal:

     VLC ---> Encryption Proxy ---> Decryption Proxy ----> VLC/Media
Payer/Real Player/Etc...

A system like this would allow for multiple inaccessable streams coming
from within a private network running through a single (or multiple)
accessable proxy system on the web.  The client could either have an
installed program and be provided a key, or the program could be a
binary on a USB dongle with the key built-in (in the event that the
person providing the stream doesn't want to divulge the key).  Using the
second method, the client could tune in to streams represented as
"channels" on the dongle.  These "channels" would merely be shortcut
URLs through the client proxy back to the proxy server's output streams.

(This should probably be on the development mailing list, but since the
topic was brought up here, I wanted to add to it)