[vlc] vlc does not play sound

Herbert.Volkmann at orf.at Herbert.Volkmann at orf.at
Tue Jan 24 08:53:59 CET 2006

Hi all,

i have installed vlc - on debian stable with the newest 2.6.15 kernel
from kernel.org and a TV-Card with the saa7134 chip. I have compiled the
module from the kernel, as well as the i2c things.

Right now, I get video and sound with xawtv, tvtime and mplayer! Only
witch vlc I only get the video, but no audio.

OK - so v4l driver is not the problem, because mplayer uses this driver,
the saa7134 isn't the problem, because all other applications like xawtv
and tvtime can play the right things. The only weakness is the vlc
program I think - but maybe I'm wrong.

So I have tried to compile it from scratch - version 0.8.4a, nothing has
changed, video but no audio at all.

I use vlc with the oss driver, but I tried as well alsa and
alsa-oss-emulation. Furthermore I tried the commands: adev=/dev/dsp but
nothing worked for me!

The command I started vlc (VLC media player 0.8.2-svn Janus) was:
vlc -vvv v4l:/dev/video0:norm=pal:frequency=189250:size=720x576 --sout
'#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,acodec=mpga,ab=128}:standard{access=http,mux=ogg
,url=192.164.206.103:1234}'

It's not a streaming problem - when I start vlc without sout, I don't
hear sound as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
&/ hv