[vlc] Re: VobSub format changes

Vorfeed Canal vorfeed.canal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 11:32:37 CET 2006

On 1/29/06, Derk-Jan Hartman <hartman at videolan.org> wrote:

> I do a strcasecmp on the Delay now. However the sscanf that actually
> reads the line will only accept Delay or delay now. I think it will
> do the trick.

It did, thnx.

> The SSA format is case sensitive btw.

Yup.

> it should ALWAYS be "delay", regardless of what VSFilter accepts.

Why ? We are talking about *VobSub* format, *not* about SSA format.
WHY it's called VobSub format ? Bzzzt. There are VobSub program!
That's internal format of VobSub program! But... last version of
VobSub (2.23) is three years old and there are no new versions...
While first version of VSFilter is also three years old and has
version 2.24. Hmm... And first version of VSFilter is written by
Gabest... The same guy who wrote VobSub under "No GPL-whatsoever
license"! In short: It's the same program with non-free parts removed
and some fixes. I think that today authority over VobSub format lies
with VSFilter - it's internal format of VobSub after all and VSFilter
is legitimate successor... If not there then where ?

> The issue with the hour needing h = -h is also fixed now. (had been
> for a couple of days already btw.)

It'll refuse to work for files >100hours in length, but that's Ok - I
do not think we'll see such files any time soon :) Even if both VobSub
2.23 (last version available) and VSFilter (all versions) handle such
files just fine I do not think it's such a big issue. It's easy to
create such file, of course - but why would anyone do this ? At least
files I've encountered in the wild are playable not. Thnx.