[vlc] Re: upd stream buffering

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Wed Jul 12 11:34:28 CEST 2006

Albert Marti wrote:

> On 7/12/06, *Jean-Paul Saman* < jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
> <mailto:jean-paul.saman at planet.nl>> wrote:
>
>     Michael Chan wrote:
>      > Dear all,
>      >
>      >   What if I have a network that can provide a 1GB capacity and assume
>      > that the PC I/O port is fast enough to transfer the stream to decode
>      > module?  Can I reduce the buffer in such situation?
>      >   Besides, Is the capture from video signal (said video capture from
>      > 1394 input) also follow the same behaviour?  I test that there are 1
>      > second delay from the video cam to the display in my pc.  Anyway to
>      > reduce the delay?
>     Use another value for --dv-caching=10000, for instance. However since
>     1394 sends data at 400 Mbps over the link, you need a really _fast_ PC
>     (>2GHz CPU) or LARGE buffer to not drop data at the input.
>
>     Gtz,
>     Jean-Paul Saman.
>
>      >

>     --
>

> I guess that this buffer is needed because the CPU needs enough time to
> process all the packets. I guess also that this buffer has a minimum
> safe value to work with a medium fast PC.
>
> Then, without having any knowledge about the VLC code/architecture,
> could be possible to modify this buffer to a small value, recompile VLC
> and run it on a really _fast_PC to reduce this latency?
>
> Has this any sense?

You don't need to recompile for adjusting buffers in vlc. Just use the
modules caching option. For input DV you need --dv-caching=<value> for
file input --file-caching=<value>, for UDP input --udp-caching=<value>,
etc.

On the stream output chain it is the same. For UDP out adjust
--sout-udp-caching=<value>

Hope this helps.

Gtz,
Jean-Paul Saman.