[vlc] Re: upd stream buffering

Albert Marti albertmarti at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 10:12:57 CEST 2006

On 7/12/06, Jean-Paul Saman <jean-paul.saman at planet.nl> wrote:

> Michael Chan wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> >   What if I have a network that can provide a 1GB capacity and assume
> > that the PC I/O port is fast enough to transfer the stream to decode
> > module?  Can I reduce the buffer in such situation?
> >   Besides, Is the capture from video signal (said video capture from
> > 1394 input) also follow the same behaviour?  I test that there are 1
> > second delay from the video cam to the display in my pc.  Anyway to
> > reduce the delay?
> Use another value for --dv-caching=10000, for instance. However since
> 1394 sends data at 400 Mbps over the link, you need a really _fast_ PC
> (>2GHz CPU) or LARGE buffer to not drop data at the input.
>
> Gtz,
> Jean-Paul Saman.

I guess that this buffer is needed because the CPU needs enough time to
process all the packets. I guess also that this buffer has a minimum safe
value to work with a medium fast PC.

Then, without having any knowledge about the VLC code/architecture, could be
possible to modify this buffer to a small value, recompile VLC and run it on
a really _fast_PC to reduce this latency?

Has this any sense?

Thanks

Albert