[vlc] streaming over internet (1.5Mbps)

Irina Iosip irina.iosip at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 15:30:25 CEST 2006

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to stream a file over internet using a 1.5Mbps link.

# server
vlc movie.avi -vvv --sout
'#transcode{width=720,height=576,vcodec=mp4v,vb=1200,acodec=mp3,ab=64}:std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=:8080}'

# client
vlc http://localhost:8080 --sout '#std{access=file,mux=ts,dst=
destination.asf}'

My problem is that sometimes there are some peaks and the bandwidth exceeds
1.5Mbps and the client vlc stops. Is it possible to set up vlc (client) to
use a buffer and wait to receive data even if the bandwidth drops to 1Mbps?
Or, is it possible to transmit a movie at the bitrate of 1.5Mbps using for
example a 512Kbps connection? I'm not interrested in obtaining a real-time
streaming.

I've tried using --sout-ts-shaping, --sout-ts-pcr, --file-caching,
--file-caching, --sout-ts-dts-delay and still doesn't work Any ideas? What
is  the usage of --sout-ts-shaping, --sout-ts-pcr and --sout-ts-dts-delay?

thank you very much