[vlc] Re: how can i install videolan-client-0.8.4a-1.2.fc4.i386.rpm for redhat EL4?

Simen Thoresen simentt at dolphinics.no
Tue Jun 27 13:57:04 CEST 2006

chenw wrote:
> Dear all:
>        I am trying to install videolan-client-0.8.4a-1.2.fc4.i386.rpm for redhat EL4 system,but  "Failed dependencies" error accurs.
>
> If I use --nodeps to install it, it can be installed ,but when i run vlc, it says
>
> "vlc: error while loading shared libraries: libdvbpsi.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" .
>
> what should i do to solve the problem? To meet the dependencies, i must updates some core libs, it may be dangerous and troublesome.

Hi Chenwei,

This package is a FC4 package (i think, from it's name), for Fedora Core
4. You should probably install an EL4-package instead, and the packages
it depends on.

Unless you have any specific reason for wantint to install this specific
build, I'd suggest going to the Dag Wieers repository, and installing
VLC and the libs it depends on from there.

I've done this for CentOS4 (an RHEL4 rebuild), using the EL4 binaries.
The process is pretty much straight forward, but can be a little
exciting if you're not used to working with packages.

http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el4/en/i386/RPMS.dag/
http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el4/en/i386/RPMS.dag/videolan-client-devel-0.8.4a-4.el4.rf.i386.rpm

Good luck :-)

Yours,
-S

--
Simen Thoresen, Dolphin ICS
Systems Administration and Wulfkit Support