[vlc] Re: Mac OS X vlc video artifacts question

Dave Schroeder das at doit.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 3 15:57:44 CET 2006

VLC 0.8.4a will not play a 19Mbps MPEG-2 HD source stream (multicast
via Internet2) for me well at all on a dual 2.0GHz G5 or a quad
2.5GHz G5, both running Mac OS X 10.4.5 and doing nothing else. The
video has *heavy* multicolored MPEG artifacts or "blocks", and the
audio portion of the stream usually dies after a few seconds. (Our
network is also for sure not the issue.) I have noticed that the
higher powered the machine, the less problem the artifacting is on
higher bandwidth streams; e.g., the quad 2.5 G5 has slightly less
problems than the dual 2.0 G5.

The same stream plays perfectly on Windows machines with relatively
modest specs. (I know that VLC is open source and some people might
have the "well, find out what the problem is and fix it" attitude,
but I'm afraid I don't have that capability here, so I'm just asking
if other people have seen these problems, or if anyone knows where
they might be coming from and if/how they might be fixed. I asked in
the VLC irc channel once, and a couple of people there made it sound
like it was a well-known issue with the Mac version of VLC, but
didn't have any idea if bugs were open on it, if fixes were planned,
or anything like that.)

I would be more than happy to try to take pictures or screenshots, or
perform any other work necessary in determining what the problem is.
For the record, I know it's not "user error", a problem with the
source, or a problem with our network (since Windows machines on the
same network handle the same multicast source stream perfectly and
consistently every time).

Regards,

Dave Schroeder           |    University of Wisconsin - Madison
Senior Systems Engineer  |   Division of Information Technology
Email: das at doit.wisc.edu |                  Systems Engineering
Web:   das.doit.wisc.edu | B263 Computer Science and Statistics
Cell:  +1 608 444-5672   |              1210 West Dayton Street
Phone: +1 608 265-4737   |        Madison, Wisconsin 53706-1685