[vlc] forwarding VLC streaming packets across networks

Gokul Poduval poduval at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 11:39:20 CET 2006

Hello,

  This is realted to VLC streaming, but has more to do with routing. I am
hoping that someone may have faced this problem before.

  I have 3 devices, A which streams data over UDP, B which is a linux
router, and C which is set to receive those packets. The problem is that A
and B are connected using a private network, and B and C are connected over
another network. Therefore B will need to do IP masquerading or SNAT in
order for A to receive the packets. I am using the below configuration with
iptables

iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -F INPUT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -F OUTPUT
iptables -P FORWARD DROP
iptables -F FORWARD
iptables -t nat -F

iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -s 10.0.0.0/8 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j SNAT --to 192.168.1.10

192.168.1.10 is the IP of B, and C is in the same subnet and can
successfully ping B. A and B communicate over the private network in the
10.0.0.0/8 network, and can ping each other too. However, using this setup
doesn't work, and B doesn't forward packets from eth1 to eth0. I can verify
that packets from A are reaching B, but not going forward.

iptables gives the following output

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 41M packets, 48G bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  eth1   eth3    10.0.0.0/8           anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 4537K packets, 369M bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

Can anyone point out where I am going wrong ?
--
Gokul