[vlc] inserting the current position timestamp into the Windows Clipboard

Jesse Ellenbogen elbow at pobox.com
Fri Mar 24 23:59:22 CET 2006

(Apologies if this mailing list is not the correct place to post this,
please let me know if there is a better place.)

Hello all,

I have a favor to ask - I am a usability researcher who is a non-programmer,
and I am using VLC to view video clips of usability sessions. One of the
things I measure is time-on-task, where I need to input the start time and
end time of an event into separate Excel cells, each in the format H:MM:SS.

Rather than entering these values by hand into Excel, it would be extremely
helpful for me to be able to automate the process & grab the actual time
value as a string from VLC.

The thing I would need to get implemented is the ability for a given hotkey
in VLC to place this current time value string into Windows' Clipboard. I am
using an open-source key macro program called AutoHotKey that can then take
care of pasting this Clipboard value into Excel (AutoHotKey would also be
triggering the correct keypress in VLC to place the string on the
Clipboard).

Is there anyone who would be willing to implement this? I would be open to
paying something for some custom development, if necessary. Please contact
me at elbow at pobox dot com.

Thanks very much for your time & thanks for an awesome program!

--Jesse Ellenbogen