[vlc] Re: RTSP stream playback differences between 0.8.5 precompiled Windows and Linux sources?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue May 9 19:11:01 CEST 2006

>However, playback of an RTSP stream of 3GPP content (H.263 video,
>AMR-NB audio, 3GP/Mobile MP4 container) now starts, but the audio stutters.
>Playback of the stream with RealPlayer works fine; playback of the
>file in VLC locally (without hinting) also works fine, so I believe
>my streaming server, and amr-nb support in VLC, to both be OK - it's
>the RTSP delivery of the audio which I think is the problem.  Any
>idea why this might be, and how I could fix this please?

Version 0.8.5 of VLC still has a long-standing bug in its playing of
AMR audio.  This bug may be the cause of the problem that you're
seeing. (The bug shows up when an AMR audio RTSP/RTP stream is being
played, but the bug itself has *nothing* to do with RTSP/RTP streaming.)

BUG REPORT (note that this bug was first reported back in March):

You can demonstrate this bug by trying to play the following file
         http://www.live555.com/test.amr
VLC (version 0.8.5) cannot play this file, either locally, or using
HTTP.  However, QuickTime Player and RealPlayer can play this file OK.

         Ross.