[vlc] Re: RTSP stream playback differences between 0.8.5 precompiled Windows and Linux sources?

John Kinson vlc at yellowradio.com
Wed May 10 15:27:31 CEST 2006

Thanks again Ross, but the delivery mechanism within VLC does seem to be
relevant, to my test files at least.

If I play my two 3GP test files (H.263 video, AMR-NB audio, 3GP/MP4
container) locally, or streamed via HTTP, then VLC (with ffmpeg enhanced
with the live555 codec support - thanks) works fine.  Audio quality is
as expected.

It is only if I attempt to play the content streamed via RTSP that VLC
has trouble with AMR-NB.

I've uploaded my two test files, and the live555 test file for
reference, to my server at the following URLs:

http://www.yellowradio.com/test/my.name.is.earl.s01.ep01.nokia.3gp
http://www.yellowradio.com/test/parking.3gp
http://www.yellowradio.com/test/live555test.amr

As you indicated, the live555 file fails to play with VLC, locally
accessed or streamed.

For comparison, I then transcoded the episode of "my name is earl" from
AMR-NB to AAC.  Audio playback via RTSP is fine (and via HTTP and
locally of course).  So for my files at least, the problem does seem to
be related to the combination of RT(S)P and AMR-NB.  That version of the
file is available at
http://www.yellowradio.com/test/my.name.is.earl.s01.ep01.qt.aac.3gp

I can see that there's been quite a bit of discussion already, e.g. at
http://www.via.ecp.fr/via/ml/vlc/2006-03/msg00132.html, but this problem
appears to be as yet unresolved.

If anyone's got any bright ideas as to how to fix this, please let me know!

Cheers

JK

--
John Kinson