[vlc] Re: Screen grab from DVD playing in VLC 0.85

Danko Dolch danko at dolchonline.net
Thu Nov 16 11:26:01 CET 2006

Hi Steven!

This is normal and can't work because VLC uses a so called "video overlay surface" that does'nt copy the video pixels into your windows desktop buffer from where Alt+Print takes the data. You only will capture a "key color" where VLC is inserting it's overlay. Not very useful ;-)

--> To get your screen grabs use the VLC function "Take video snapshot" by default Alt+Ctrl+s and a img file will be written to your harddisk.

You can set up file format and img path in the VLC Advanced Options (in the video section - video snapshot dir - file type and so on...)

Best regards

Danko