[vlc] "Process Bloat" - Degrading OS X Performance

galenz at zinkconsulting.com galenz at zinkconsulting.com
Mon Oct 2 13:48:20 CEST 2006

Hello,

When I run VLC with XviD-encoded content for a long time, it
progressively uses more and more CPU until the video begins to skip.
Restarting VLC does not resolve the issue. The more of the CPU the
video uses, the sooner the problem appears. DVD-resolution XviD takes
dozens of hours to exhibit this problem on a 1.33 GHz G4, but higher
resolution files become a problem much quicker - a few hours at the
most before 540 x 960 XviD becomes choppy on the same machine. Top
reports no other applications are using a significant amount of CPU.
renicing the VLC process to maximum priority doesn't solve the problem.

I've been tracking this interesting issue with VLC 0.8.x under Mac OS
10.4.x. I've reinstalled OS X fresh, etc. and found it does not go
away. I've checked CPU performance settings, etc. The disk
performance does not change. Allowing the computer to "sleep" and
cool down has no impact. Basically, there's no logical reason for
this to be happening, except some sort of a "leak" within the OS/kernel.

Interestingly, the amount of CPU time used by "top" also
progressively increases - a sort of "process bloat." After a fresh
reboot, top uses several percent of the cpu.... by the time we're
done, top may be using 20, 30% of the CPU. I can leave a single top
process running, or spawn a new one, the results will be the same. I
have also observed this happens when OS X is used for very extended
periods, but normally these kinds of numbers would represent weeks of
very intense OS X use... VLC playing higher resolution video can
drive top to 20 or 30% in just hours.

I realize this may partially be an OS issue, but no other
applications I have ever seen cause this problem to emerge so
rapidly. Any comments or insight as to what's going on? It gets to
the point where I get watching HD XviD and find myself regularly
rebooting so I can keep watching.

-Galen