[vlc] Videoconference solutions

Rubén Lagar ruben.lagar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 14:28:25 CEST 2006

Hello,

I am working for a French company, and we want to include a
videoconference application in our web site (it is a collaborative
site). For this, we have been testing VLC as solution. It works fine, we
get a better sound and video quality than Skype.

The way we have done this is including a VLC activeX in the web page
that shows the remote WebCam. For streaming we use a java applet that
runs VLC from command line, and stream the local webcam to the remote
site. We have solved also NAT issues, so anyone can videoconference. As
I say, it is really good quality, and video and audio are fluid (we are
using H263 and MP3 codifications).

We have just one problem, that may cause that we drop VLC as solution,
and this would make me really upset. We can not remove a 2 seconds delay
from the system, what makes conversation a pain. I have set to 0 almost
every cache paremeter that I know, and the 2 seconds dealy is still there.

I was wondering if any of the VLC developers could help me in locating
where is this delay located, to try to remove it.

Thank you in advance,
Rubén.