[vlc] Re: Videoconference solutions

Sigmund Augdal Helberg dnumgis at videolan.org
Mon Oct 23 17:01:39 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 14:28 +0200, Rubén Lagar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working for a French company, and we want to include a
> videoconference application in our web site (it is a collaborative
> site). For this, we have been testing VLC as solution. It works fine, we
> get a better sound and video quality than Skype.
>
> The way we have done this is including a VLC activeX in the web page
> that shows the remote WebCam. For streaming we use a java applet that
> runs VLC from command line, and stream the local webcam to the remote
> site. We have solved also NAT issues, so anyone can videoconference. As
> I say, it is really good quality, and video and audio are fluid (we are
> using H263 and MP3 codifications).
>
> We have just one problem, that may cause that we drop VLC as solution,
> and this would make me really upset. We can not remove a 2 seconds delay
> from the system, what makes conversation a pain. I have set to 0 almost
> every cache paremeter that I know, and the 2 seconds dealy is still there.
I think 0 is an invalid value for most caching options, and vlc will
reset them to default if they are set to 0. I'd try to set the caching
options to something like 20.

Other options that may, or may not affect the delay:
--sout-ts-shaping and --sout-ts-dts-delay (if you use mux=ts)
--sout-ffmpeg-bframes and --sout-ffmpeg-keyint (if you use ffmpeg for
encoding (which I guess you do)). Try setting bframes to 0 and keyint to
1 to get the lowest possible delay, then try increasing keyint and see
if that improves quality without increasing delay (too much).

Regards

Sigmund