[vlc] Number of packets received in vlc

igor etxebarrieta igor.etxebarrieta at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 10:06:51 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am trying to get the number of packets received by vlc when I am
streaming, and i don't know what's the better way to get it.

In src/input/input.c file there is a line that says "prepare
statistics". There i can see that somewhere vlc counts the number of
packets, but i don't know how to get that value, because if i do
something like it does with the bitrate,

p_counter = stats_CounterGet( p_input, p_input->i_object_id,
                         STATS_INPUT_BITRATE );

but writing STATS_READ_PACKETS instead of STATS_INPUT_BITRATE, the
matter is that i don't know which values will it return, because i do
not find the function stats_CounterGet. I have seen something about it
in include/vlc_messages but not the full function, so i don't know
what does it return.

So the way for getting the number of packets received or sent will be
this? Or should I create a counter when I read each packet?

Thank you very much,

regards