[vlc] Re: VLC VoD Server -- does it *work*?

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at nxtelevision.com
Thu Sep 7 14:43:44 CEST 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 06 at 23:56 -0400, Calin A. Culianu wrote:

> I can't get VLC Video On Demand to work at all (using rtsp).  If I use vlc
> as the server and vlc as the client (basically vlc talking to vlc) for
> rtsp:// VoD, the client barfs and aborts the play attempt because it
> complains that it isn't a "Real/Helix" vlc server.
>
> Some investigation into the sources revealed that basically the client
> rtsp access plugin expects the server string to contain "Real" or "Helix"
> and if it doesn't it fails (modules/access/rtsp/access.c line 202 or so).

You would have notice that modules/access/rtsp/access.c get compiled in
a module whose description string is "Real RTSP"   and that there is
another rtsp module in modules/demux/live555.com.

So i suggest you try to get and compile live555 for your OS and
recompile VLC or use a precompile version ( or blame the maintaner of
your distro if he hasn't included live555)

hth,

--
Xtophe