[vlc] VoD Seeking

Calin A. Culianu calin at ajvar.org
Sat Sep 9 01:00:30 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am trying to get VoD SEEK commands to work in rtsp:// as part of the
HTTP_MSG_PLAY request.  This means, upon first playing a stream,
immediately jumping to some offset in seconds within the stream -- sort
of like how the start-time proprty works but have it be a parameter coming
in from the rtsp:// request..

So, I found that one option is to use Range: npt=SECS part of the rtsp
protocol spec.  There is support for it apparently in rtsp.c, etc.
However, wile playing with seeking using Range: ntp=SECS as part of the
PLAY request, I found it doesn't work (see modules/misc/rtsp.c). The
support for it implemented in rtsp.c seems broken.

I suspsect the problem is related to the fact that there is no real stream
instance yet, so the SEEK command issued via vod_MediaControl() seems to
confuse the video streaming engine...

Any clues why this might be?  I need some developer more experienced with
this codebase to hopefully point me in the right direction to get SEEK
commands to work as part of the PLAY request.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Calin