[vlc] Memory leak when receiving a multicast stream

James W. Mills jmills at awayfar.org
Wed Apr 11 16:57:47 CEST 2007

Hello,

I am using vlc to stream an mp3 over a multicast transport stream like this:

vlc 01.mp3 --sout '#std{mux=ts,access=udp,url=239.255.1.1}' --loop

and receiving the stream like this:

vlc udp://@239.255.1.1

I have noticed that as long as the stream is being received, the
receiver memory footprint grows.  If I stop streaming, the receiver
memory footprint stops growing, but does not shrink.  If I start it
again, the memory footprint continues to grow.

I am using 0.8.6a, and have tested receiving the multicast stream on
Linux using the pre-built vlc binary for Ubuntu, as well as one built
from source for a Linux ARM machine.  Both exhibit the same behavior,
although with ~64MB of RAM, the ARM machine's problem is much more
pronounced.  In less that five minutes vlc is using 29.2% of the
available memory.

Both builds are using libdvbpsi 0.1.5.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Thanks,