[vlc] Re: RTSP - let the server decide when to PLAY

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Apr 17 15:52:53 CEST 2007

>In my setup right now, VLC sends DESCRIBE,SETUP and right after that
>it sends the PLAY command.
>If no data is received after 10 sec. vlc sends TEARDOWN and tried to
>setup a tcp
>interleaved connection.
>I would like the server to be the one that tells vlc when to start
>playing, since
>the data it should stream might not be ready when the client connects.
>is this possible via RTSP.

No, not via the RTSP protocol, because the RTSP "PLAY" command means
just that: ask the server to start streaming.

Also, VLC's 10 second timeout (before switching to requesting
RTP-over-TCP) is currently hard-wired into the code (in
"modules/demux/live555.cpp"), so it currently can't be disabled.

In the future, however, this timeout should probably be made a
configurable value (with 0 meaning: don't have a timeout at all).

However, right now, you're out of luck.

	Ross.