[vlc] VLC and seeking in matroska files.

Nathan Caldwell saintdev at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 07:35:43 CEST 2007

Hi, I'm working on the matroska muxer in HandBrake. I'm having trouble
getting matroska files to seek properly in VLC. They seek fine in
other players (I know for a fact Perian and MPlayer work). When I
attempt to seek in VLC (either by skipping to the next chapter, or
seeking manually) the video freezes at the current frame, and I get a
whole bunch of:

[00000303] main decoder error: decoder is leaking pictures, resetting the heap
[00000333] main video output error: picture 0x9f7978 refcount is -1

The timer then counts up slowly as if VLC were jumping forward a
random amount of time, then the audio finally starts playing when the
time gets to the right spot. The video at this point is still frozen
at the frame the video was at before the seek, and the console is
filling up with the above messages. My question is what does VLC need
in order to be able to seek a Matroska file properly?
Here is the output from playing the file with -vvv.
http://paste.videolan.org/2169

-Nathan Caldwell

PS: I would also like to point whoever reads this to the following
ticket, as they probably know more about the Matroska muxer.
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1236