[vlc] GordianKnot video problem

Joseph Slegers josejuan05 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 06:28:08 CEST 2007

I'm not sure if this is quite the area to be discussing this, but if anyone else has seen encountered this problem, maybe you could help:

I've been trying to encode XviD files from VOB's using Gordian Knot. In the process a 4:3 video (720x480) is to be cropped down to 704x384. After encoding, I would test the resulting file in VLC. It always ends up cropped correctly but stretched to fit a 4:3 frame. If I select a different aspect ratio from the video menu it is shrunk appropriately, but by default the video is stretched disproportionately (Also, the actual aspect ratio of 1.83 or 11:6 is obviously not included in that menu). However, if I try the file in Winamp or Windows Media Player it shows up correctly. I have tried numerous settings in Gordian Knot, and all have created files that were fine in Winamp or WMP but incorrect in VLC.

(Also, if I hit [Ctrl] + [I] VLC displays the video as having the correct resolution)

If it helps I am using Gordian Knot version 2.40, and whatever version of each program that comes with the installer.

Does anyone have a suggestion?