[vlc] VLC Install problem SuSE 10.3

Sicco Ens sicco.ens at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 17:35:39 CET 2007

Hello,

At first I apologize that I am writing to you, but I do not seem to be
able to find out myself. As I do nott have an Internet-connection at
home, where I use SuSe 10.3, I have to download the files at work and
take them home to install the on my Linux-Box. I have Slackware as
well on that machine but I have got the impression that trying to
compile the sources from scratch is a bridge too far for me, so it
would be more succesful to download the VLC-RPM for SuSE. A few days
later I am not that sure any morePROBLEM sUse, anyway...

On page <http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-suse.html> It is rather
difficult to find out what to do when you want to install VLC on
another computer than the one that you are working on. It says: In
order to install VLC on a SUSE Linux/openSUSE, you have several
options (besides downloading and installing the RPMs manually). But
it does not tell you where to find them and how to do it, e.g. which
rpm's first.

After reading he page I could construct
<http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/10.3/x86_64/> as
the site to find the rpm's. As there were a lot of rpm's I first took
(only) the VLC-rpm at home, which worked out to be a big failure, lots
of dependency-problems, so I decided to take all the other rpm's next
time. I think that that was a better idea, but I kept on getting
problems, that I could solve almost.

I still have one problem, FFMPEG-0.4.9.10872-2.2.x86-64 is not
installable, due to a missing libdc1394_control.so.12 (64 bit) file. I
restarted my system with the SuSE-10.3 DVD and tried to do an
'upgrade' (from 10.3 to 10.3, well ok, if that is the way why not?)
and by the option 'packet-selection' I used the 'search'-option to
find libdc1394 first. I installed the resulting packages, but as a
result, I kept the same problem. Same procedure, than searching
libdc1394_control, gave no result.

Trying to install VLC without FFMPEG gave four problems,
LIBAVCODEX.so.51, LIBAVFORMAT.so.51, LIBAVUTIL.so.59 and
LIBPOSTPROC.so.51. I think they are provided by ffmpeg, so without the
libdc1394_control I am unable to install VLC on my SuSE10.3 system atb
home. Do I do something wrong, if not where can I find this control?

Kind regards,

Sicco