[vlc] Re: VLC.app gets BIGGER in file size (every item inside it) after some special issue_not a crash (Mac OS X)

Felix Paul Kühne fk at aenneburghardt.de
Sat Feb 10 21:29:54 CET 2007

Hello Thomas,

the 0.8.6 plugin wasn't pulled back actually. We just had to release
a security version in early January and no new plugin packages were
built. I noticed that a few days ago and prepared the respective
dmgs. Since the Intel-port is too unstable to be shipped, I'll only
publish the powerpc-build for now. It is already available for
download at <http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/vlc/macosx/>

In case that you're on an Intel-based Mac, you'll have to wait a few
days until a stable build exists. At present, I don't recommend re-
downloading the 0.8.6 plugin for Intel (which is still on the server
in the respective directory), since it includes some security issues
and may crash your browser unexpectedly in some circumstances.

The problem of enlarging files is completely unknown to us. Which
Firefox release are you using on what kind of Mac? Which OS and
QuickTime versions? Does ClamXAV find anything on your drives?

Best regards,
Felix

Am 09.02.2007 um 07:47 schrieb Thomas Reuter:

> Very mysterious, I try to describe:
>
> I was working on an issues with Firefox PlugIns (did not start the
> VLC application).
> Testing Firefox with my installed Internet PlugIns, ran into a
> conflict between VLC PlugIn and QuickTime. Nothing involving the
> VLC application.
>
> Just in the process of narrowing down possible causes, in try to
> get a fresh copy of the PlugIn, I redownloaded a fresh VLC 0.8.6a,
> reinstalled it, compared it against that old suspicious copy.
>
> The fresh copy is 41,9MB in size, the "old" is 72,7MB!!!
> Every file inside the package has "grown" to BIGGER. Must have
> happened 5 days ago according to the modification dates. Don´t
> remember a certain crash or issue that day.
> E.g. vlc_libdirac_decoder.dylib from original 364kB to 752kB (and
> so on).
>
> Don´t know if this is interesting for anyone there.
> I´ll keep copies of the logs and that "grown app", ready to send/
> post/investigate if told so.
>
> B.T.W.:
> Getting the PlugIn
> I sure remember I have installed the VLC Plugin (v 0.12) from a
> dedicated dmg file (just lost it because of a head crash of my USB
> hard drive). I am sure I downloaded it more or less recently.
> But I can´t find by any means where to obtain that image again,
> only by "building it myself".
> Has it been pulled back by someone?
>
> Thomas

VideoLAN