[vlc] Localization in 0.86

Michiel de Boer x at rebelhomicide.demon.nl
Tue Feb 13 23:08:47 CET 2007

Hi,

When i download vlc for windows and install it, i choose 'English'. I install
onto a windows xp pro sp2 English installation. However my regional settings
indicate 'Dutch' so that I have correct date format, euro and metric settings.
To make a long story short: I prefer as few localization as possible on my
systems. However buried inside vlc 0.86 is a setting that determines locale and
defaults to 'Auto'. This means it will read the windows setting for 'Regional
and Language Options' and switch from English to Dutch dynamically.

The problem is this: never during my windows installation, or afterwards, when
setting things up in the Control Panel did I specify, or tell windows that I
want my pull down menu's and dialogs to be in anything other than English. Most
if not all programs therefore show me an English interface. Especially
if I'd be making an automated install of vlc together with an unattended setup
of windows, it's very annoying to have to go to Preferences->Interface, then
select 'Advanced options' and then pick 'American English' from the Language
drop-down list.

Shouldn't the default for vlc be the language specified at setup time? That way,
you can always select 'Auto' if you have multiple users with different regional
settings on the same machine, which should be a rare situation.

Regards, Michiel de Boer