[vlc] Re: Localization in 0.86

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Wed Feb 14 21:49:45 CET 2007

Le mercredi 14 février 2007 22:33, Michiel de Boer a écrit :
> In other words: gettext is reporting to you that i'm using the Dutch
> metric, currency and time system. But it apparently it either ISN'T
> reporting to you that i have set 'English' as my default language, or
> VLC is not using the regional information properly!

Unfortunately, that's the contrary. Gettext does report the (default)
language in use. On Windows, it happens to use the regional settings
for its guesswork, while on platforms with a decent C run-time library
(locale-wise), it works fine, i.e. uses the configured "message"
locale, independant of the monetary symbol, decimal separator,
date/time format, etc. That's why I'm arguing that if you find this
behavior inconsistent, you should fix GNU gettext, rather than VLC.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/