[vlc] Browser plugin under OSX PPC

Michael Ditum mike at mikeditum.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 13:30:59 CET 2007

Hi!

I'm trying to get the browser plugins to work under OSX, I've currently got
it working great under Windows and Linux but cannot get the plugins to work
under Firefox or Safari under OSX.

For the PPC version I downloaded vlc-plugin-0.8.6a-powerpc.dmg from
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html. Once I had mounted the
image file I ran the installer and it said everything installed correctly.
(I've also tried installing the non-plugin package by dragging the icon into
Applications and that installs VLC fine, and allows me to view the mpeg
stream, though they are a bit stuttery).

Looking under Hard Drive -> Library -> Internet Plug-Ins I have VLC
Plugin.plugin

When I load http://people.videolan.org/~damienf/plugin-0.8.6.html in firefox
or safari, enter udp:@224.1.1.1 and press "Go" and I can only hear the
audio, not see any video. There are no errors in the Error Console.

Looking under about:plugins in firefox it has the following text for VLC...

VLC Multimedia Plugin
File name: VLC Plugin.plugin Version 0.8.6, copyright 1996-2006 The VideoLAN
Team
http://www.videolan.org MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/ogg Ogg stream ogg Yes  application/x-ogg Ogg stream ogg Yes
application/x-vlc-plugin VLC plugin vlc Yes  video/x-google-vlc-plugin Google
VLC plugin
Yes

It looks like most of the formats are not supported or registered (or
something) for the browser plugin. I'm currently only using mpeg2 so don't
need anything fancy. Should the plugin support more formats than this?.

Does anyone know how I can get it to play other video formats?

Thanks in advance!

Mike