[vlc] Re: VLC Python Bindings and --sout.

Rick Sterling rick__sterling at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 28 18:26:49 CET 2007

Hi,

> > [00000260] main private debug: looking for sout mux module: 0 candidates
> > [00000260] main private error: no sout mux module matched "ts"
> > [00000255] stream_out_standard private error: no suitable sout mux
>module
> > for `udp/ts://239.254.254.250'
>
>It's not finding the TS muxer (or any other muxer as it seems)
>What's starnge is that it finds the access_outpuut modules and sout
>modules.
>
>Do you have several installation of VLC on your box.
>
>By default vlc and the pyton binding will look for it's modules in
>/usr/lib/vlc ( or /usr/local/lib/vlc/).
>vlc will also use ./modules but i'm not sure pyvlc will. so that could
>be the difference
>So you could add --plugin-path /somewhere/with/your/vlc/modules when you
>create vlc's instance

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I do in fact have two instances installed.  My system is Debain and the
first is installed from packages which doesn't have the Python plugin.  The
second is installed from source to /usr/hpc/vlc.  I tired the --with-plugin
path but it didn't seem to work.  I notice with out without --with-plugin
that vlc says the following when starting from my Python app:

[00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `modules'
[00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `/usr/hpc/vlc/lib/vlc'
[00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `plugins'
[00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `/usr/hpc/vlc/lib'
[00000001] main private debug: module bank initialized, found 374 modules

I take it the module vlc is looking for is libts_plugin.so?  If so, it
exists:

/usr/hpc/vlc/lib/vlc/demux/libts_plugin.so

When I tried from the command line I was using my own vlc from
/usr/hpc/vlc/bin/vlc that's why I surprised when it didn't work from within
Python.  I have noticed from testing and from banging my head on the wall
that the vlc.so created for Python respects the path given to configure
during compiling.

Any other ideas?

rick