[vlc] Re: ASI Input with Videolan?

Andrea Venturi a.venturi at cineca.it
Tue Jan 16 10:58:48 CET 2007

Craig Whitmore wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I am looking for a Card I can put in a Linux box which I can take a
> E3(G.703?) ASI Input and then convert to whatever (say to TCP/IP
> Unicast/Multicast MPEG stream).

hi,

we use ASI cards, from dektec http://www.dektec.com/ (as customer, i'm
not involved in their business, of course)

BTW it's not clear to me the E3/G703 part.

dektec does have a good free and open linux driver (but outside the main
kernel), the driver is not linuxdvb compliant but shows just a simple
character device

with this card, you can read (input card) or write (on an output card)
an asinchronous MPEG2 transport stream

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_stream

in the support package there are two simple (free and open) utilities
(called DtPlay and DtRecord) with which you can drive your application
thru a pipe or a fifo.

we use this light approach in our application (JustDvb-It, an open
source carousel server, but that's another story)

so, for your task, i believe you could do something like:

  DtPlay - | vlc ....

bye

andrea venturi