[vlc] Compiling VLC with OS X

stephane.fillion at uqac.ca stephane.fillion at uqac.ca
Wed Jan 17 02:51:23 CET 2007

I'm trying to compile VLC under Mac OS X 10.4.8 (PowerPC). I'm following the procedure located at http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/osx-compile.html . However, the compilation fails.

This is the steps I did:

1- XCode has been installed long ago and works fine so I'm expecting the development tools to work fine from the command line.

1- I downloaded the VLC source code with the following command:

 $ svn co svn://svn.videolan.org/vlc/trunk ~/src/vlc-trunk

2- I executed the bootstrap script:

 $ cd ~/src/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib
 $ ./bootstrap

3- I attempted to compile the external programs:

 $ make src

but then the process die with the following error:

--
configure: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
See `config.log' for more details.

4- I checked ~/src/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/src/gettext/autoconf-lib-link/config.log . The first time the log report errors it look like this:

--
configure:3258: checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89
configure:3332: gcc  -c -I/Users/Pinky/src/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/include -mtune=G4  -DMACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sd

The remaining of the file contain similar errors, as well as compilation error because of the missing declarations contained in the unfound headers. I don't understand because these headers are all here in /usr/include. To try to solve the issue, i set the INCLUDE environment variable. I tried C_INCLUDE_PATH and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH too but none worked. At this point, I don't know what to try next and I'm posting to this mailing list to ask for help.

What should I do to successfuly compile VLC?

Thank for your help.

Stéphane Fillion.