[vlc] firefox plugin focus problems

Zoilo Gomez zoilo at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 18 20:13:48 CEST 2007

I am using VLC mozilla plugin (vlc-0.8.6c) with firefox 2.0.0.4.

After loading my page with <enbed> vlc-plugin window, I notice the
following:

1) if the mouse is not over the embedded window, and I press 'f', then
nothing happens (correct, I think)
2) if the mouse hovers over the embedded window, and I press 'f', then I
get a full screen (OK)
3) press 'f' again, back to non-full-screen (still OK)
4) now I click on another object (eg. one of menu options) to move the
away from the VLC plugin object, then press 'f' again -> still full
screen video! This (I think) is not OK, because the focus is no longer
on the embedded video plugin. It seems as if the plugin has not released
the focus, or is still handling all the events.

As a result, my menu is not working anymore either in this situation:
before going full-screen I can use TAB-keys to go through the menu
options, but after step 4) this is no longer possible.

Actually, I would like the plugin not to bother with any event, but
control it 100% (and only) via the vlc control object using javascript.
I do not want the vlc object to respond to 'f' (for example), but only
toggle full-screen mode if my 'full-screen' menu button is being clicked.

Any suggestions anybody?

Tia,

Z.