[vlc] Re: H263 over RTP

chris.2.dobbs at bt.com chris.2.dobbs at bt.com
Thu Mar 8 16:13:01 CET 2007

Hi Ross,
Thanks again for info. I did use your code to stream h263 but I wanted
to understand how it was done and as I like the pain that was what I
did. Finally got it working and in the process discovered something you
may be interested in.

During my exploits with ethereal to check my packets againsed the
reference model live555 packets, I think I 'may' have found a tiny
little bug in your code - or I have simple misunderstood something.

To discern between overflow packets i.e packets that are part of a frame
spanning several packets, we look for the occurance of '0000' in the
bitstream, these 2 bytes are then discarded. This all works fine and
dandy in your code but NOT when it comes across a sequence of '000000'
i.e 3 bytes of zeros, the 3rd zero seems to have been added to the end
of the current packet instead of (I think) prefixed to the beginning of
the next packet.

So, for example, say the bitstream snapshot looks like this is:
....Ad 13 22 b1 00 00 00 12 22 11...

The current packet should have ended with "ad 13 b1"
The next packet (pbit set to 1) should start with "04 00 00 12 22 11"
(04 00 being the h263 header as I'm sure u know!)

Your code seems to show this however:
Current packet ending with "ad 13 b1 00"  - the spurious '00' being
taken as part of this frame
Next packet starting with "04 00 12 22 11"
Thus a zero data byte has been placed in the wrong reference frame.

No big deal I know but VLC does throw a few errors when I play your
stream so maby this is it?

The packet I noticed this on as a start of frame packet (pbit=1 and had
an eof frame marker.
Hope this is useful for you and thanks again or a great product.
Regards,
-Chris