[vlc] Any Good Writeups, Progress on VLC for Record and Replay?

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 31 20:39:27 CEST 2007

I checked the forum, didn't notice anything recent.
Record:
-Connect to a VLC UDP multicast stream.

-Client records the incoming stream to multiple files (extra credit if a
transcode on the incoming video can reasonably be done).  The file naming
should be automatic -- a user-provided string, then use time-datestamp in
the filename.  How the file splits would ideally be on some user-specified
parameter, like minutes.

-The underlying container is a don't-care.  If RAW does the job, super.

-VLC automatically closes the current file, initiates a new one, when the
time occurs.

Replay (controllable via the RC interface):
User specifies a file list, or provides the proper user-defined string (from
the recording part), plus the desired start time and stop time.
VLC automatically queues the filelist.
Desired things going through RC:
-Request for a replay, with the file prefix, start, stop times.
-Output parameters should, ideally, be user-specifiable for a given replay
session -- the address, port,..  If pushing the file back out as a UDP
multicast is simplest/neatest, given the incoming recording is a UDP
multicast, fine.
-VLC ACKs when the files are queued for replay.
-VLC accepts the actual play command.
-VLC outputs time data, while the replay is ongoing, to permit the outside
app to be synced OK.
-A fairly seamless replay -- files in the list get shoveled right into the
pipeline, no hiccups.
-Pause, fast-forward, halt.  (I believe some of these, if not all, are
already there, just need to make them work in the context of a string of
files.

It sounds like VLC was getting in the ballpark to do this, but I absolutely
haven't kept up on the changes over the last few months.  As usual, the
right things may be pretty much in place, just that I'm missing any writeups
(How-To).

I'd be happy to poke at it myself, if others are occupied, not interested in
implementing this, but I'm looking for ideas on what pieces to work with.

Thanks.

Mark