[vlc] Re: Problems with Multicast Traffic

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Thu May 24 17:27:37 CEST 2007

Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2007 09:41:35 +0200, "Arturo J. Gómez Villegas"
> <ajgv354 at tid.es> wrote:
>> I was already able to route multicast traffic through HOTSPOT. I'm
>> proving with mp3 and the results are not good. Probably the bottleneck
>> is the access point, but I need that it's heard well.
>
> There are several problems with multicast over 802.11, such as
> throttling and inefficiency of error correction (there is no
> retransmission for multicast as for unicast).

The biggest problem is generally that the multicast rate is pegged at
the slowest rate the ap can support so typically 1Mb/s if you can alter
that you can achieve dramatically better performance though packet-loss
to do interference/collisions is still an issue.

setting the multicast rate on the ap to 5.5 or 6 (g only) or higher will
help. ;)