[vlc] Re: Problems with Multicast Traffic

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Thu May 24 13:58:08 CEST 2007

On Thu, 24 May 2007 09:41:35 +0200, "Arturo J. Gómez Villegas"
<ajgv354 at tid.es> wrote:
> I was already able to route multicast traffic through HOTSPOT. I'm
> proving with mp3 and the results are not good. Probably the bottleneck
> is the access point, but I need that it's heard well.

There are several problems with multicast over 802.11, such as
throttling and inefficiency of error correction (there is no
retransmission for multicast as for unicast).

In practice, multicast over WiFi is only usable for very small
bandwidth usages, such as discovery protocols.

As such to stream over WiFi, you should always use unicast, even
if this means wasted bandwidth when there are more than one
client associated with a given AP.

> For videos I'm trying to reduce the bit-rate, but not with himself
> nothing. There is some form to improve this situation?

Some AP might allow tweaking some settings, but you should refer to
the AP documentation. Unlikely to solve the problem anyway.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/