[vlc] VLC 0.8.6 cannot display first seconds of a H264 encoded clip streamed from Darwin

Gun Akkor gakkor at patton.com
Tue Nov 13 16:09:38 CET 2007

Hello David, and All;

I have been experiencing the same problem on a x86PC based Linux
platform running VLC version 0.8.6c while streaming UDP unicast or
multicast.

My clips were encoded using x264 library -- i can provide the command
line as well, if needed --

The debug output on the receiving VLC shows a series of the following
messages before the decoder can sync up to show the video:

> [00000392] packetizer_h264 packetizer warning: waiting for SPS
> [00000392] packetizer_h264 packetizer warning: waiting for SPS
> [00000392] packetizer_h264 packetizer warning: waiting for SPS
> [00000392] packetizer_h264 packetizer warning: waiting for SPS

I thought this may at least eliminate ffmpeg/x264, Windows XP/Linux,
Darwin and the hardware as the possible culprits. I have to agree with
David that this has to be related to the modifications to SPS/PPS support.

Regards,
Gun Akkor