[vlc] VLC 0.8.6 cannot display first seconds of a H264 encoded clip streamed from Darwin

David Betrand bidibulle at operamail.com
Tue Nov 13 15:55:08 CET 2007

Hello all,
I use VLC to play a rtsp url pointing to a H264/AAC encoded file. The
streaming server is Darwin. The stream was perfectly OK with VLC
version 0.8.5, but with all versions starting from 0.8.6 (including
0.8.6c and trunk) show the same problem : the first seconds of the
clip are not displayed (only audio) and then (after a few secs) the
player is able to play the clip until the end. I suspect the player
to be forced to wait until the second I frame to be able to decode it
correctly.
The clips are encoded with ffmpeg (i can provide the command line if
necessary) and hinted with MP4box. The problem is of course
reproducible as it occurs systematically.
Note that when played locally, everything is fine. The problem is
only when the file is streamed. I also replaced Darwin with VLM and
the same problem occurs.
I uploaded a sample file (h264_first_seconds_lost.3gp) on the
videolan ftp server under the h264_first_seconds_lost directory.

here are the details of my test environment :
- VLC 0.8.6c
- Windows XP SP 2
- Darwin Streaming Server 5.5.4
- Intel Pentium M 1.5 GHz, 512MB with ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 graphical card

As this problem seems to appear with version 0.8.6, i guess it is a
regression introduced with this version (I saw that h264.c was a lot
modified for SPS/PPS support). Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks David