[vlc] Help with H264 performance on Fedora 7

Petr Hroudny petr.hroudny at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 19:41:37 CEST 2007

2007/9/4, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org>:
> Dual cores are useless with VLC for H264 decoding.
> It will remain like that until ffmpeg (program used by VLC for H264
> decoding) use multiple threads (and i don't know when)).

But why does it work on both cores in Windows (I'm using VLC in WinXP)
and the cores are loaded like this:  #1: 65-70%   #2: 55-60%.
It seems that H.264 decoding itself is not able to saturate a single core,
as long as other tasks are all running on the other core.

So what's different in Fedora that everything runs only on a single core?

Thanks, Petr