[vlc] Help with H264 performance on Fedora 7

Nathan Allen Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Wed Sep 5 01:03:36 CEST 2007

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, [ISO-8859-1] Rafaël Carré wrote:

> Dual cores are useless with VLC for H264 decoding.
> It will remain like that until ffmpeg (program used by VLC for H264
> decoding) use multiple threads (and i don't know when)).

<cut>

> There is absolutely no way, even with other programs, they _all_ use ffmpeg.

Anyone working on other options? We are having a lot of quality issues
decoding H.264 from video phones that has been tracked down to ffmpeg
libavcodec. We are looking at intel-ipp, the latest version adds H.264
decode, but still having issues with that (may be related to 64 bit).
Other options in the linux world would rock, even if we had to pay for
them.

><>
Nathan Stratton                         CTO, Voila IP Communications
nathan at robotics.net                  nathan at voilaip.com
http://www.robotics.net                 http://www.voilaip.com