[vlc] Pause VLC

Neil Bertram neil at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Aug 19 07:16:33 CEST 2008

Brook Lin wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to pause the VLC by every 5 seconds, then continue to play it.
> How to control it by command?

You could accomplish this by using VLC's telnet rc interface and some
external script that handles the control.

To do this in unix (including MacOS) with a shell script,

Start VLC:

  vlc -I rc --rc-host localhost:5678 file.mpg

Then write a shell script along these lines:

#!/bin/sh

while (true); do
    echo pause | nc -q0 localhost 5678 # toggles pause
    sleep 5
done

On other systems you could also use the rc interface, but you'd need to
find another way to prod the commands at it periodically.

Neil