[vlc] libv4l2 and RHEL5.2

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at chewa.net
Thu Dec 4 18:25:39 CET 2008

Hello,

> I am looking at the config.log trying to figure out why ffmpeg module is
> not present in the compiled product.
>
> The first problem I found is that the configure is looking for libv4l2
> package which is not present in RHEL5.2.  It has been replaced by package
> named unicap and its pkgconfig is in libunicap.pc.  Of course the VLC
> configure cannot find the pkgconfig.  However, all required libraries and
> headers are present on the system.

liv4l2 is use in potentially several location:
the vlc v4l2 access module
from a library vlc depends on.

In the fist case we can adapt configure in future release.

But if i understand correctly we are in the second case and one of the
lib of ffmpeg depends on it. (it will be nice to know which one).
And the depedancy on libv4l2 will come from libav*.pc which are not
controled by us.

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=libv4l&submit=Search+...&system=&arch=
 Seems to indicate that packages libv4l and libv4l-devel provides what
you need.

If it's really a name change, I suggest you contact either the
maintaner of your distro for ffmpeg so that he patches libav*.pc or
the maintaner of libunicap in your distro so that he patches all the
packages affected by the name change.

--
Xtophe