[vlc] [newb] cannot transcode

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 20:15:02 CET 2008

Rémi Duraffort wrote:

>> newb here.  vlc-0.9.8a on fedora f10 (from rpmfusion).
>>
>> I can play a dvd fine, but when I try to transcode I always get
>> 00000564] main stream output error: invalid chain
>> [00000565] stream_out_transcode stream out error: cannot create chain
>> [00000564] main stream output error: stream chain failed for
>> [`transcode{vcodec=theo,vb=800,scale=1,acodec=vorb,ab=128,channels=2}
>> [:sout-all' 00000563] main input error: cannot start stream output
>> [instance, aborting
>>
>> I've tried various transcoding options.
> How are you trying to transcode ? Using the GUI or using the command
> line ?
> If you'r using the command line, you can read this
> (http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Streaming_HowTo/Advanced_Streaming_Using_the_Command_Line#transcode)
>
> If you use the GUI their might be a bug because your command line seams
> to be invalid.
>
> Best regards

Seems the problem was I didn't choose an output file in the gui.  (This is a bug IMO).

Now it still doesn't work.  I get lots of:
ry increasing sout-mux-caching value
[00000628] main packetizer error: cannot create packetizer output (spu )
[00000541] main mux error: cannot add a new stream (unsupported while muxing to this format). You cantry increasing sout-mux-caching value
[00000631] main packetizer error: cannot create packetizer output (spu )
[00000541] main mux error: cannot add a new stream (unsupported while muxing to this format). You cantry increasing sout-mux-caching value
[00000634] main packetizer error: cannot create packetizer output (spu )
[00000541] main mux error: cannot add a new stream (unsupported while muxing to this format). You cantry increasing sout-mux-caching value
[00000637] main packetizer error: cannot create packetizer output (spu )

Elapsed time jumps around apparantly at random - no output file created (actually, a very very small one)