[vlc] Unable to open 'http/shout-winamp://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/newxml.phtml'

Arioch the_Arioch at nm.ru
Sun Feb 3 19:03:31 CET 2008

> to open 'http/shout-winamp://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/newxml.phtml'.

What do you do to open ShoutCast in such a way, that seems to me hard to
find ?

I open WWW Shoutcast.com
Then i do search for genres and come to a page with list of radio's - like
that:
http://www.shoutcast.com/directory/?sgenre=European&maxbitrate=56&numresult=25&s=

There is a list of streams and "Tune In!" button at the left of each.

So You can do:
1) click on the "Tune In!" link, download linked .PLS-file and open it
(file) in audio player program
2) r-cick on the "Tune In!" link, copy URL to the .PLS-file, launch audio
player program and open it (this URL) so that audio player program will
itself download .PLS-file
This URL looks like that:
http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=833519&file=filename.pls
3) copy the URL to the page itself, like above
"http://www.shoutcast.com/directory/?sgenre=European&maxbitrate=56&numresult=25&s="
I did it instead of previous variant by error. In theory since that is not
playlist nor stream, audioplayer is not to be able to play it.

So i tried 3 players:
1) www.videolan.org (URL can be inserted via File|Open URL menu)
2) www.aimp.ru (URL can be inserted in playlist window under ADD button)
3) Microsoft Direct X ( aka Windows Media Player )

Variants 1&2 - played ok in VLC and AIM2  - with no single trouble
Variant 3 failed in VLC, but for surprise played in AIMP - i wonder if it
understood that some links are playlists and followed some random of those

All three variants failed miserably in WMP, even after i downloaded
ShoutCast Source codec
WMP downloads AC3+ coodec, then tries to open radio with it and then
failes due to radio is not AC3+ format.

If variants above suit You - fine.
If not - what is your method of connection step-by-step an why do you
choose it rather than more obvious described above ?
--
Используется революционный почтовый клиент браузера Opera:
http://www.opera.com/mail/