[vlc] Hi Guys will you be developing a version of Vlc for the iphone and the ipod touch please.

Michael Bender/MBP Michael.Bender at Sun.COM
Mon Feb 4 03:03:30 CET 2008

Arioch wrote:
>> Hi Guys will you be developing a version of Vlc for the iphone and the
>> ipod touch please.
>>
>> http://developer.apple.com/iphone/devcenter/
>
> Read the very 1st sentenc on that page: "The iPhone Dev Center is your
> single source of information for designing, coding, and optimizing web
> applications for iPhone and iPod touch."
> You see, WEB application! in other words - WWW-pages that can work in
> iPhone and to some extent can be downloaded into iPhone.
> But they are stil WWW-pages like GMail, not programs like VLC.
>
> To install a program into iPhone it is required to crack Apple software,
> remove it from iPhone and replace it with something else, most probably
> some kind of Linux (there is Linux for iPod, hence there is little chance
> to make Linux for iPhone)

There will shortly be an iPhone development kit (SDK) out according
to Apple, so people will be able to write native applications for
the iPhone.

> But i don't think You've purchased iPhone to remove all its software and
> try to create Linux for it, do You ?

What would be the point of putting Linux on an iPhone other than to
say that you did it? One of the features of the iPhone is it's grate
user interface, and I really doubt that any Linux port to the iPhone
will ever come close to providing such a great user interface.

mike